Hip Replacement Treatment in India
If you have pain around the hip due to arthritis or if the pain aggravates after any normal activity then maybe it is time to get relief by undergoing a Total Hip Replacement (THR). Other indicators for the need for a hip replacement could be difficulty in daily activities such as walking or stair climbing. Hip replacement is a treatment option for late-stage degenerative hip disease, also known as osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. This involves a procedure wherein the surgeon surgically removes a hip joint with arthritis and replaces it with an artificial joint often made from metal and plastic components.
Please see below for most frequently asked information about Total Hip Replacement Treatment. In case you have any further questions or would like any other assistance, feel free to write to us.
Hip Replacement Surgery Cost In India
- Single 4700
- Twin 3850
cost in USD
(In ranges) 2100-5000
- USD Approximate -
Recommended Doctors For Hip Replacement
Consultant, MBBS, DNB, 20 years of experience
Head of Department, MBBS, MS, 27 years of experience
Senior Consultant, MBBS, MS, FRCS, 24 years of experience
Senior Consultant, MBBS, D.Ortho, MS, 18 years of experience
Hip Replacement Treatment in India
SYMPTOMS FOR DETECTING HIP REPLACEMENT
While most candidates for hip replacement are in the age group of 60 and 80, surgery could be recommended for other age groups also. So it can be said that generally any person can be a suitable candidate for a hip replacement. Age, class or activity level are not the reference for identifying candidates for this surgery. If certain normal activities are affected then there might be a case for hip replacement.
Hip replacement surgery can be considered if there are the following conditions:
- Pain persists in the patient even when pain medications are taken. The pain can be sharp or a dull ache and the hip is often stiff
- If it gets difficult to rise from a seated position
- There are sleep disturbances
- If the pain and discomfort worsens due to walking, even with a cane or a walker
- The ability to go up or down stairs is affected
- Pain and swelling in the hip
- Osteoarthritis which is a degenerative joint disease due to ageing
MEDICAL TEST /DIAGNOSIS FOR HIP REPLACEMENT
A thorough physical examination is done as well as a check on the medical history of the patient. An X-ray identifies characteristic features such as narrowing of the joint and spurring of the joint margins. Tests for diabetes will also need to be conducted to ensure that wound healing is not impacted as well as chances of infection are minimized. A dental check can also be conducted to identify any hidden infection which will eliminate the risk of infection entering the blood stream and infection the hip implants.
TREATMENT PROCEDURE FOR HIP REPLACEMENT
- General anesthesia is given before the surgery which typically takes a few hours. New metal, plastic, or ceramic implants are positioned to restore the alignment and function of the hip after the damaged cartilage and bone are removed.
- Next the surgeon makes a cut alongside the hip and the muscles are moved to connect them to the top of the thighbone, exposing the hip joint.
- Then the ball portion of the joint is removed by cutting the thighbone with a saw.
- Post which an artificial joint is attached to the thighbone using either cement or a special material that allows the remaining bone to attach to the new joint.
- Any damaged cartilage is removed to prepare the surface of the hipbone. Then the replacement socket part is attached to the hipbone.
- The new ball part of the thighbone is then inserted into the socket part of the hip. A drain may be put in to help drain any fluid.
- The doctor then reattaches the muscles and closes the incision.
AFTER THRE PROCEDURE
For post operative care a patient will have to stay in the hospital for 6 to 8 days. To keep the new hip joint in place the patient will have to stay in bed with a wedge-shaped cushion placed between the legs. Complete recovery can take 6 to 12 months.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Hip Replacement Surgery
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital that the patient chooses.
- Category of Room taken and the number of nights. There are different prices for standard single room, deluxe room or a super deluxe room. Nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service charges are also included.
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Physiotherapy session
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Cost of Artificial Implant and medications
- Whether surgery is for single or both hips
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Any cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure