Brain Tumour Surgery & Treatment in India
Brain Tumour is an abnormal and uncontrollable growth of cells in the brain. It can be either cancerous (malignant also called as brain cancer) or non-cancerous (benign). In fact there are many different types of brain tumours.
In the following sections, you can know about the following –
- The types of Brain Tumour Surgery in India
- Cost of Brain Tumour Surgery/Treatment in India
- Symptoms, Diagnosis and Medical tests needed for Brain Tumour Treatment in India
- Leading Doctors and Hospitals for Brain Tumour Surgery in India
- Frequently asked questions about Brain Tumour
Brain Tumour Surgery Surgery Cost In India
- Single 10800
- Twin 9600
cost in USD
(In ranges) -
- USD Approximate -
Recommended Doctors For Brain Tumour Surgery
Recommended Hospital For Brain Tumour Surgery
Brain Tumour Surgery Treatment in India
Symptoms for Brain Tumour
The symptoms of a brain tumour vary mostly depending on the exact part of the brain that is affected. Common symptoms include:
- Severe and persistent headaches
- Seizures (fits), also called as convulsions
- Persistent nausea, vomiting, fatigue and drowsiness
- Mental or behavioural changes such as memory problems or changes in personality
- Hand tremors
- Ability to perform daily activities is impaired
- Progressive weakness or paralysis on one side of the body
- Vision problems or speech problems
- Loss of memory
Medical Tests For Detecting Brain Tumour
To diagnose a brain tumour, the doctor starts by –
- Asking questions about the symptoms
- Then a personal & family history is discussed and taken
- A physical examination is done which includes a neurological examination which may include checking the patient’s vision, hearing, balance etc.
If the doctor suspects brain tumour then he may advise one or more of the following tests:
- CT(CAT) scan or MRI to see detailed images of the brain
- Angiogram or MRA, which involve the use of dye and X-rays to image blood vessels in the brain to look for signs of a tumour or abnormal blood vessels
- Skull X-ray
- Biopsy is advised to check if the tumour is cancerous
Treatment for Brain Tumour
The treatment options for brain tumour are:
- Radiation therapy
Surgery is the initial step in the treatment of most of the benign and malignant tumours.
Procedure For Brain Tumor Treatment
It is performed under general anesthesia and the surgical procedure can take 4 to 8 hours.
- A small area of the head may be shaved in preparation for the surgery. The patient may be given local anesthetic in a part of the scalp.
- The surgeon makes an incision (cut) in the scalp and a small part of the skull (bone flap) will be removed.
- Awake Craniotomy: In this procedure the patient will be woken before removal of any brain tissue. This allows the doctor to map where the functions of the brain are located in the brain and accordingly avoid damaging tissues that are vital while removing the tumour. During the procedure the patient may have a feeling of something being pulled out but should not feel any pain as the brain itself cannot feel pain.
- As much of the tumour will be removed as safely as possible.
- Post the removal the bone flap will be replaced and the wound closed using stitches or metal clips.
- Patients are mostly put on steroids to manage any swelling.
The patient is required to stay in the hospital for 3 to 7 days.
Factors Affecting Cost of Brain Tumour Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital opted for by the patient
- Category of Room taken and number of nights. There are different prices for standard single room, deluxe room or a super deluxe room. This could also include nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service.
- Cost of Operating room and ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthetist, Physiotherapist, Dietician )
- Cost of Medicines
- Standard tests and diagnostic procedures
- The type of surgery performed
- Micro surgery
- Gamma Knife Surgery