Bilateral Knee Replacement Treatment in India
Bilateral Knee replacement Surgery Cost In India
- Single 7300
- Twin 6050
cost in USD
(In ranges) 4200- 10000
- USD Approximate -
Recommended Doctors For Bilateral Knee replacement
Consultant, MBBS, DNB, 20 years of experience
Head of Department, MBBS, MS, 27 years of experience
Bilateral Knee replacement Treatment in India
Knee replacement surgery also called as arthroplasty is a surgical procedure to replace the weight bearing surfaces of the knee through the replacement with an artificial implant. The goal of knee replacement is to restore function and relieve pain that cannot be repaired or controlled by conservative methods of treatment. Artificial implants consist of Metal, high grade plastic parts and polymers which are used to cap the ends of bones that form the knee joint.
Here we list most frequently asked information about Bilateral Knee replacement. In case you have any further questions or would like any other assistance, feel free to write to us.
Types of Bilateral knee replacement –
- Simultaneous bilateral knee replacement – When in one surgery both the knees are replaced at the same time
- Staged bilateral knee replacement – When both knees are replaced at different times with a certain interval
Diagnostic conditions for Knee replacement surgery
Most common cause of knee pain is arthritis are –
- Osteoarthritis – the cartilage wears away causing the bones to rub against each other, this is due to normal wear and tear. Also causes stiffness and knee pain. Bone spurs or tiny pointed outgrowths of bone are common in osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – is an auto immune disease condition, wherein chronic inflammation leads to cartilage loss , pain and stiffness.
- Traumatic arthritis – is usually caused by a serious knee injury.
- Deformities –people with bow legs or knock knees
Tests before Knee Replacement Surgery
- A thorough physical examination is conducted to understand and determine the motion and stability of the joint
- A study of the medical history of the patient including the present and past. This is required to know about the extent and duration of knee pain, past injury or if any surgeries was performed earlier.
- X-Rays and MRI to determine the extent of the damage, condition of the bones and soft tissue.
- There could be also be tests to determine the body’s ability to clot blood; to know of any infection etc
Procedure of knee Replacement surgery
- Preoperative evaluation to declare you fit for surgery which includes present past medical history , complete blood count , urine analysis , clotting factor testing , ECG and any other test as recommended by the doctor. Each of the tests goes to ensure the safety of the procedure. For example many patients have urine infection but might not be aware. If this is not treated then the infection or bacteria in the urine can reach the blood stream and may infect the fresh site where the surgery was done.
- X-Ray and MRI scans to understand the knee condition and accordingly choose treatment option .
- The doctor will also check your regular medication and even stop few medications before surgery.
- To prepare for a faster recovery it is also recommended to start muscle strengthening exercises before surgery. It is generally observed that people who strengthen their muscles around the knee have a faster easier recovery.
- The anesthesia given could be spinal anesthesia or general anesthesia. In spinal or epidural anesthesia the patient will not feel anything below the waist while in general anesthesia the patient will be asleep during the surgery. Usually knee replacement is performed under spinal anesthesia. This might of course vary with patients.
- The procedure begins with the surgeon making an incision down the centre of knee and cuts the deep tissue to gain access to bone and resurfaces the bones and attaches the artificial implant.
- If required the patella too is resurfaced and a spacer is inserted.
- The leg is flexed and extended to test the fit of implant and the range of motion .
- Any deep tissue that was cut is repaired and incision is stitched.
- A sterile bandage or dressing will be applied.
After Surgery and Recovery
- Post surgery actions are equally important and the patient will be kept under observation and the vitals will be monitored on a regular basis.
- The patient’s knee will be bandaged and a drain may be placed to remove any fluid.
- Additionally the patient may have a catheter to improve circulation. Also to avoid clots the patient may wear compression bandage.
- Antiobiotics and painkillers may be administered to the patient.
- The patient will be made to walk with the help of walker
- Sessions will be conducted by a physiotherapist to help the patient do specific exercises for the knee joint .
Factors Affecting Cost Of Bilateral Knee Replacement Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like –
- The hospital chosen
- Category of Room taken and the number of nights. There are different prices for standard single room, deluxe room or a super deluxe room. There could also include nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service.
- Fee for the team of doctors and OT charges
- Cost of Artificial Implant and medications
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure
- Physiotherapist cost
Complications of knee replacement surgery
Though the procedure is safe and commonly performed with high standards but as with any procedure complications may occur and these may be –
- Infection of the wound
- Blood clots which may cause swelling and pain
- Incomplete relief of pain, stiffness and instability
- The replaced knee joint may become loose or dislodged
- Nerves or blood vessel in area of surgery may be damaged leading to numbness